ASSOCIATION OF PATRIOTIC ARAB AMERICANS IN MILITARY   
                                                                    
"Patriotic Arab Americans Making a Difference"
 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

        Join Our Mailing List!
           











NEWSLETTER ARCHIVE

EMPLOYMENT

CONTACT US

Join Our Mailing List!

 

APAAM JOINS MR. HESHAM ISLAM AND DoD PERSONNEL
As Guest of His Excellency ABDULAZIZ KAMILOV for Ramadan IFTAR
At the Embassy of the Republic of Uzbekistan

We would like to thank Mr. Hesham Islam, Special Assistant for International Affairs, for Deputy Secretary of Defense Gordon R. England for his support and hard-work in making this event possible. 

“People coming together is what enables countries to come together”.  Hesham Islam

  


Historical Background of the Building - http://www.uzbekistan.org/

Built in 1906 and completed in 1909, this structure was designed in the Louis XV manner by French architect Jules Henri de Sibour (1872-1938), and was one of the largest and most costly on the avenue. The interior is a combination of 16th, 17th, and 18th century French and English detail. The simple, logical progression of interior spaces and the sequence of their stylistic changes reveal a quality in both design and craftsmanship. Special attention is drawn to the particularly fine woodcarving, plaster and iron work, and the remarkable hardware and lighting fixtures throughout.

The building served as a private residence from the time it was built until 1927, when it was then purchased by the Canadian government and used as legation, chancery, and embassy. The government of the Republic of Uzbekistan purchased the building to serve as their embassy in the summer of 1996.

The original owner was Clarence Moore, an associate of the successful W.B. Hibbs and Company, one of Washington's top banking and brokerage firms. He was a noted horseman, and held the position of Master of the Hounds at the exclusive Chevy Chase Club. To his fatal misfortune, Moore booked a return trip from England aboard the Titanic, and sank to his death in 1912.

He was survived by his wife Mabelle Moore, who remarried three years later to Aksel Wichfeld, a Dane who engaged in banking and the operation of taxicab companies before being appointed an attach? of the Danish Legion in 1916.

As one of four Wichfeld estates, the Washington residence, as quoted by a 1927 edition of the Sunday Star, was "the scene of many fashionable gatherings of diplomatic and social circles". In April of that same year, the Wichfelds sold the building to the Canadians.

In 1996, the building was sold to the Republic of Uzbekistan. Since its purchase, the Embassy has undergone some interior changes. Uzbek decor has been added to personalize the building and to display to its visitors the rich tradition of such Central Asian arts as woodcarving, silk weaving, glass staining, and painting.

 

Description of Interiors

Entrance Hall:

The east and west walls are divided into three bays of raised panels flanked by opposed double door bays, each bay separated by fluted pilasters on plinths having limestone composite capitals. For the ceiling, wood beams frame cavetto and talon coffers centered with dropped pattera.

 

Library:

Built in the Tudor manner, this handsome room has wooden floors in a basket weave pattern. Built-in bookshelves have oak leaf roll architraves, and the deep brass rim locks have lion mask escutcheons and fleur-de-lis panels with an acanthus "barbell" doorknob.

 

Dining Room:

This room was created in the manner of Belton House dining rooms in Grantham, England, designed by William Stanton in 1685, with carvings attributed to Grinling Gibbons. The floor is herringbone parquetry. The walls are raised panels of burled walnut in a cyma molding. At the room corners, over the west doors and flanking the door to the hall are high relief woodcarvings. The ceiling is 15 feet high, with a tobacco leaf pulvination, a cove, and a ribbon roll molding in the central panel.                                                                                                                                                

 

Drawing Room:

This lovely space is the Embassy's actual reception hall. There are three sets of double doors, one each to the east and west parlors and central hall, with paired linen fold bottom panels. The over mantle is divided vertically into three crossette panels, the central section sculpted to form a round-arched niche with floral spandrels. The acanthus bolection architrave is capped by a plain pulvinated frieze and an ovolo, corona and cyma cornice. panel.

 

East Parlor:

This room serves for conferences, dinners, and luncheons. The floor is herringbone parquetry style, with a marble baseboard. Flanking the mantle are semi-circular-arched shell niches and raised panels over each arch. The over-mantle panel has a high relief, palm leaf cap draped over floral cornucopia, and flanked by floral swags terminated by paired pheasants with floral pendants linked by ribbon and tassel.

 

West Parlor:

This room was executed in the late 18th century English manner. The blue-green walls are divided into three sections of narrow panels, rosette-indented frames at the center, and plain panels at the top. The center of the ceiling is an oval sunburst with a laurel surround, bordered at the cornice by a decorative running dog frieze. Fine Uzbek plaster carving decorates the mirrored panels.

     

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright 2004. APAAM. All rights reserved.